Friday, January 27, 2012

My Last Day in Goa



My last day in Goa. As I sit here trying to reflect over my time here, and (of course) avoid packing, there are a few thoughts that continuously run through my mind. 

More than anything, I am encouraged by the focus on prevention that Rahab's Rope places in their work with the women and children of Goa. During my time here, I was blessed to be able to read the book Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, that discusses empowering women to fight against poverty, oppression and gender-based violence. Throughout the novel, emphasis is placed on the education of women to facilitate empowerment. To be able to see the living proof of this in our work through Rahabs Rope was an experience like none other, comforting me through the most difficult times. 

As many of us on the team discussed, the difficulty of prevention is that one may not see a visceral outcome right away, or ever. It is very different from going into a brothel and literally rescuing someone from a life of forced prostitution. However, why should women have to go through such pain and suffering in the first place? By focusing on prevention the potential for impact is huge, although we may never know the direct effects. Every day during my time in Goa, I saw the reality of this. From the women's pride at the stitching center when they showed me their latest creations, the beam on a child's face when correctly solving a math problem,  in the hope I saw when we shared with the girls that their true Father in Heaven loves them and cares for them.

I came to India in order to  help the women and children at risk for oppression and violence. However, I have received so much more from them than I could have ever hoped to give. I am encouraged by the strong women I have met, and know what it means to be truly brave and courageous. I feel blessed by the trust these women have shown us by letting down their guards and sharing openly about their life. More than anything, I am so thankful for the children I have been able to meet and the love they have so openly given to us. When I saw the excitement on their faces as they ran towards our team, I would always feel my exhaustion and worries fly away. 

I may start packing now, but I won't be saying goodbye. I know God has amazing things planned for this ministry and I hope that I will be back here soon. 

Ramya
Goa Volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment