Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Broken Arm

God has been teaching me so much from my time here, not only about relying on Him alone, but also about how weak we are without Him, and also about the mysterious ways in which He works. I have been amazed by Indian hospitality. When we do house visits in the afternoons, it astounds me when the people we are visiting, who having nothing at all, go out of their way to make us chai or give us crackers to eat. They give us the only food they have sometimes and it has been very hard to witness that, but also very convicting. It has opened up my eyes to the way I spend my money back home and how I use, or don't use, the resources I have to provide for others.

     There is a boy in the slum that we work that has stolen my heart. He is 8 years old.  This past week, on Tuesday, he fell off a pile of sticks and broke him arm. It is now in a makeshift cast wrapped straight between two pieces of wood. But, the crazy thing is how God is using his broken arm to bring this family to Christ. On Monday, myself and one other girl will now be tutoring him at his house with a few other children because he can't go to regular tutoring with his arm broken. His mom has just begun to trust us and the last time we visited her house she let us pray for her when the time before she had refused. I am excited to see how God will use this boy and I this summer to hopefully bring his family to Christ as they begin to trust us, and Him, more and more. To be allowed to take part in such a grand thing is humbling and definitely an adventure.


Rebecca
Short Term Volunteer-Goa
written 7/2/11

No comments:

Post a Comment