Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Reflections


It’s a strange thing to wake up some days and expect to already be sweating, hear the quaint sound of rain bouncing off the palm trees outside, filled with the anticipation of what the day could hold only to realize I am awakening in Boone, NC with nothing but the routine or coffee, class and comfort ahead of me. Most days when this occurs, I am saddened. My heart longs to be back in the unknown, anxiously awaiting instruction from the Lord on how to spend my free moments that day. I miss the treacherous bus rides that not only made me sick from the smell of unwashed human beings, but also seemed to last far longer then they actually did. I miss the simplicity of wearing the same three articles of clothing in rotation, always covered up by my rain jacket. I miss the joy that came from the children’s faces and their sweet voices yelling, “teacha!” in hopes that I had candy hidden in my pocket. I miss walk over to *Leah’s, and the excitement in her face everyday when she saw my bible in hand to read her another story. I miss the silly accents, the unbelievable amount of cows lingering in the road, the taste of sweet-lime soda, the smiles, the faces, the joy, and the hearts of every person I met or passed on my way. I miss the way I saw the Lord work and save the lives of those people. Today however, I am not sad. Today, I am grateful.

For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven. A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance. A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones. A time to embrace and a time to turn away. A time to search and a time to quit searching. A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate. A time for war and a time for peace.” Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Last summer was my season to dwell in those circumstances with those incredible people. In that season I experienced a multitude of other seasons, all of which broke my heart and forced me to rely on Christ to mend it. I was surrounded by darkness for the majority of my day and my heart was often heavy and burdened by those around me. I learned what it feels like to truly be heartbroken and how to trust that the Lord will work if I allow Him complete control. I was my weakest and therefore allowed Him to be strong through me. Upon returning home, the Lord has continued to work in and through me in ways I didn’t know were possible. Even though I long to be back in that beautiful country, I know that my season is here now and that my mission is to share all that I have seen, learned, felt and experienced from my time in India. I am always His vessel, regardless of where in the world I am and whom I surround myself with. Today, instead of missing people, I am praying for them fervently and with shameless persistence. Today, instead of sadness consuming my spirit I am filled with joy remembering all that the Lord did and is still doing there. Today, I am grateful that He allowed me to go be His hands and feet. Today, it’s still strange to wake up in a house, walk one room over to brew coffee, take a warm shower and have a general idea of what my day will look like. Today however, I am thankful for all the Christ has done and cannot wait for the work He will do today in and through my life.

Kate
Goa Volunteer-Summer '11

*Please note: name has been changed for protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment